Sunday, February 8, 2015

I HATE BIKES

Helloooooo!!

Mother keeps asking me to update the blog, so here I am. So much has happened since I posted last! For one, I WENT TO PARIS? And that was crazy amazing beautiful. Like, absolutely beautiful. We got up super early and made our way to the international train station and hopped onto the Eurostar and 2 hours later (after going UNDER the English Channel -- cool, engineering!) I stepped onto French soil.

Paris was cool. Very cool. The first night was my oh my god, I'm in PARIS night. We had a really extensive walking tour after checking into our hotel and it was COLD. But I saw so much! In particular, Notre Dame. I can't explain the feeling I had being in that church. I was overwhelmed. I started tearing up simply from the sheer beauty of it. It was massive and so beautifully painted, and the ambiance was so sacred and holy, I felt so special in that moment. There were older women in the pews sitting with their head bowed, lost in prayer. That, matched with people lighting small tea-light candles in honor of loved ones no longer with us, tipped me off the emotionally stable cliff. It honestly was an unexplainable feeling.



We then took a boat tour on the Seine and it was amazing. When I saw the Eiffel Tower for the first time... yep, I started crying... again. It was just so incredible to see it in person. Like... absolutely amazing. Then, as our boat swivelled around, the Eiffel Tower lit up! It was amazing! We also went to the Louve and I saw good 'ol Mona!

We wrapped up some more tours. Then. Oh, then. The next day. We had a bike tour. I have not rode a bike since I was... oh, I don't know... NINE maybe? So 11 years ago? And I'm afraid of bikes... so I learned. CAPA promised that this bike tour was for "all levels." WRONG. So WRONG. I almost DIED. I went OFF-ROADING. I FELL OFF A SIDEWALK. The bike was too big for me so I had to ride a pink and blue bike with a sticker that said PUKEY on it. IT WAS THE WORST EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE. I HATED IT SO MUCH. I STARTED CRYING. Not because of beauty BECAUSE I WAS TERRIFIED. This MAN took all 30 of us (in my group... there was 3 groups) onto the BUSY STREETS OF PARIS. Riding next to ANGRY PARISIANS and HUGE TRUCKS. ALSO on busy sidewalks with fashionable grandmas and annoying children on SCOOTERS. And I don't understand how bikes work so I was on the wrong gear the WHOLE TIME. And this stupid freaking bane of my existence tour lasted for FOUR HOURS. I WAS SO ANGRY AT PARIS. But yeah, some girl stopped her stupid bike right in front of me and I had to veer off the sidewalk onto the cobblestone next to the road and I almost flipped off AND I WILL NEVER RIDE A BIKE AGAIN.

We also went to Versailles, and that was amazing. Naturally. I'm sorry these aren't so descriptive, but this was a week ago and I'm tired and I'm lazy. What're ya gonna do.



But, Paris wasn't what I thought it was going to be. By Sunday, I was ready to go back "home..." to London. The trip made me embrace London a lot more. I was very stressed and felt guilty by not speaking French in Paris. I felt safer in London after returning from notoriously famous pick-pocketing Paris. I don't know. It was really nice to come back to London. I felt excited to explore London and start living.

So, that's what I'm doing! I love London now. Sure, it's not, nor will it ever be "home" but I'm so happy I like it now. I hated London at first. I had this romanticised idea of it since I was 8. It obviously is not what I thought it would be. But, I'm finally getting used to everything. I have a system. And plenty of countdowns on my phone.

I'm going to Ireland next weekend! That's going to be exciting. And my parents will be here in 3 weeks! It's flying by. I knew it would eventually. I understand now what everyone means by studying abroad is a "life changing" experience. I feel so different. I've learned so much about myself and my likes and dislikes and what essentially is "me." I feel more myself than I ever have had before.

It's getting warmer here and it's making me feel like London is a whole new city. No more cold, dreary, sad days. With a day like today -- sun beating down, making the whole of Regents Park glisten with budding spring -- I feel more confident. I know I can get through these 70+ days here. SO much more is going to happen!

So, yep. London is getting better!  Lex and I skyped our friend Kelsey today (who then went into Starbucks to see Gabrielle and then we saw Kelly in the street!!) and it made me miss Oakland SOOOOO much. So much. But I know Oakland is going to be there when I get back. And so will my friends. And my family. And everything will be fine!

So, that's what's going on with me! Classes keep me busy Monday - Thursday. Then the weekends, we cram so much in. Friday we did a pub crawl that was full of fun and dancing and LIVE MUSIC. Like, two bands we stumbled upon! Super fun! The last stop on the crawl was this club called Koko and there was this really cool dude singing and we ended up first row cause that's just how me and Lexi run shows... and yeah... it was so nice. I had a lot of fun. Saturday, we went to these huge, massive mall complex and the chilled the rest of the night. Then today we just walked around a park. Super relaxed! First weekend like that since I've been here!


I'm sorry this is so scatter-brained but I'm listening to Sam Smith while texting Danielle (hey, bae) so not really thinking straight.

ALRIGHT. Well, my wrist hurts from the angle I'm typing. So, that's all from London for now!

Lots of love!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment