Sunday, February 15, 2015

I left my heart in Ireland

This weekend I travelled to my Motherland -- Ireland. It was the one country I said I had to go to when I came here. The only country I cared about travelling to.

And it changed my life.

We had a late flight Thursday night, and got into Dublin around 11:15. We took a bus to the hostel (after having met our roomies [but not knowing at the time]) and got there around midnight-ish. And it was the COOLEST place ever. Google Generator Hostel, Dublin. Here, I did it for you. There was music and bar and cool lights and it felt so amazing just to have this lively atmosphere, bursting at the seams.

We went to bed after getting to know our bus-pals, ending up roommates from JMU/IU. They were so nice, and I was just so excited to begin our adventure.

Friday morning we had a walking tour of the city followed by lunch at this pub called O'Neils. I had a DELICIOUS traditional Irish stew, and just for laughs, got a pint of Smithwick's cause it reminded me of my dad (lol). It was so good, and I felt so full and happy.

Then we went to the Guinness Storehouse and I learned the "proper" way to pour a pint o' Guinness. Then, we obviously got to drink it. Even though Guinness is an... acquired taste... one I'm not particularly fond of and it still hasn't grown on me, I downed it anyways.

Then we went to a pub crawl. The highlight of my night was for sure going back to O'Neil's where there were Irish stepdancers and a traditional Irish band. And I felt SO happy. It reminded me of St. Patrick's Day with my family, jumping from pub to pub, dancing to Irish music and listening to the pipes and enjoying the parade.


We wrapped the night up not too, too late cause we had an early start the next day to the Cliffs of Moher.

I was changed at the Cliffs of Moher. How ominous sounding. The cliffs took my breath away. It was so nice to be in the present of NATURE. And not loud busses, bustling people, honking horns. Just the cliffs, the water, and me. The air was crisp and cool on my throat. The sun was beating down, warming my whole body. I felt content. No... I felt alive.

I've mentioned before how I wasn't loving London as much as I had hoped. And I'm realizing now... London isn't my dream city. I've thought it was for as long as I can remember. I'm not a big city girl like I thought I was. Ireland is my happy place.

Though I'm learning to adjust to living in London more and more everyday, it's more of "home base" for me, as Lexi called it. I live there. I study there. I do stuff there. But, I don't think it's my "fit." And I'm happy Ireland was able to solidify that for me.

I've already learned so much about myself these past few weeks. And I'm finally accepting that. It's okay for me to not be entirely thrilled with where I am. And, obviously, I'm not taking advantage of it in the slightest. I don't regret my decision... but because it's taught me about myself.

Standing on those cliffs... looking out at the stretch of sparkling blue water, watching the waves crest and build and break against the rocks... spilling out into foam and being pulled back into the abyss... I realized that this is living. This freedom. This beauty... these are the moments in life that people cherish. I will never, ever forget my time on the cliffs.



I will never forget driving through the Irish countryside, marvelling at the beauty nestled in these tiny, winding roads. The warming feeling of seeing baby lambs, trotting through fields.

I will never forget Galway, and the tiny, Irish shops packed on top of each other filled with beautiful, crafted objects.

I will never forget the bachelor party and drunk Frenchmen we befriended at O'Neil's... learning Gaelic and clapping along to the dancers, just living in the moment.


I will never forget the kindness of the Irish. The acceptance I felt being there. I felt complete.

This isn't an hate letter to England in any means. It truly is a wonderful country... I just need to leave the city and see what else it has to offer me.

Ireland was the happiest I've been in a month. I've been gone for a month. My parents will be here in 2 weeks... and then spring break... and then a little under 50 days. Time is flying. I'm learning to take things day by day.

This weekend taught me so many things about life, learning, and existing. I am so blessed to be living this life.

Here's to Ireland -- you've changed me. Thanks for being happy, drunk, and unconditionally welcoming.




1 comment:

  1. It is safe to say Ireland is your happy place and the place you are meant to be. So happy you had an amazing weekend. Love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete