Sunday, May 5, 2013

fame


One time I met Bo Burnham and now he’s, like, famous and on MTV. 



‘Zach Stone is Gonna Be Famous’ is the new scripted ‘reality’ series MTV has picked up starring none other than Boston-bred comedian, Bo Burnham. His character, Zach Stone, is a fresh-faced high school graduate, and on the conquest to become ‘famous.’ That’s it. That’s his goal -- to become famous. As he says, he can be a famous ‘writer, producer, actor, director, dancer, crab fisherman, slut.’ Sounds legit.

The show premiered on Thursday May 1st and has received plenty of positive feedback. I’m not going to sit here and describe the entire first episode to you, you lazy lard. Click here to watch the first episode online. I say positive feedback because Joel McHale and Jenna Marbles and a bunch of other ‘famous’ people tweeted about it and I was flailing and giddy and then I was all, ‘Wait… This doesn’t pertain to me at all.’ But it’s Bo and I’m infatuated with him, so please let me be.

Even though the show is mainly comedy based, in it’s entirety, it’s a mockery of this generation’s crazed obsession with ‘reality.’ Think about the Kardashians. What are they famous for? Honestly, though. It’s a jaded argument but it’s true. But we thrive off of reality TV. But it’s not even realistic. Everyone acts different in front of a camera. But everyone wants to be on camera. But everyone wants to be themselves. It’s a vicious cycle.

Bo’s always touched on really deep subjects but brushed it over with comedy. His most famous would definitely be ‘art is dead.’ He himself even said 'This song isn't funny at all but it helps me sleep at night.' His song Nerds is a really powerful rap/poetry piece dashed with heavy synths and electronica pop beat. But the lyrics hit home.

I personally think Bo is a wonderful… person. I don’t want to say ‘idol’ because idolization can become extremely dangerous and 90% of the time people aren’t aiming to be ‘idolized.’ However, what Bo is doing with this show is subconsciously hitting the teenage population with a valuable lesson. I’d be straight up lying if I claimed I never said, ‘I want to be famous.’

Fame has turned into this pseudo-success.  I’ve heard before that Fame means you’ve become the best at something. But is that true? Are the Boston bombers the ‘best terrorists’? Is the Westboro Baptist Church the best religious organization? That’s not fame. I’m not even sure what fame is anymore. I don't think anyone even knows.

We all want to be remembered. We all want to be able to look back and say we lived a happy, wholesome life. And I think our generation has synonymously clumped fame with happiness. And I think that’s what Bo’s trying to preach. He may be preaching to the choir, but whether or not they’re looking, MTV audiences will definitely find  some lesson nestled in the silly plot-line.

So whether you want to be a famous musician, director, or even slut, stay grounded and don’t push away the cliched girl next door for the super hot girl that’s only using you for your fame.*


Stay beautiful.

xx
A


*(In which the situation fits)

No comments:

Post a Comment